Friday, September 30, 2011

#OccupyWallStreet Expands Across the U.S. to Include #OccupyNOLA

Protesters that have been occupying a Plaza in NYC near Wall Street against the greed, corruption, and inequality of the Wall Street financial oligarchs for 2 weeks now. They have inspired occupation movements to organize themselves around the world, including over 60 cities in the U.S. to have general assemblies and figure out how the 99% can get out from under the boot heel of the top 1%.

To that end, #OccupyNOLA is organizing an occupation to join this worldwide movement. They have called for an organizing meeting in Washington Square Park at Noon on October 2nd. The occupation will begin on October 6th. Get involved. Here's their contact info:
Twitter: @OccupyNOLA
Email List:
Send an email to the group at

So, why do the bottom 99% need to get together and organize themselves to end the stranglehold of the top 1% have on the rest of us?
Everyone has their own reason. But it all comes down to the top 1% having the economic power to capture political power, leaving the other 99% out of real democracy.

Here is a good video about how that happened, about the squeeze put on people in America in the last 30 years (this is from just months before the financial crash of September 2008), and a couple graphics:


  1. Another good video explaining the impact of increased wealth inequality:

  2. I just feel compelled to mention that too many publicly visible organization channels is one way of asking for astroturfers and police infiltrators to interfere. Sure, the web has some handy channels for getting the word out, but shouldn't someone look into some security or encryption? At least use TOR?

    Of course, these are things better discussed in person with those you trust.

    Just sayin'

  3. I don't think this is that kind of a gathering.

    We want the police to take their badges off and join us. We have done nothing wrong and have nothing to be ashamed of. We are not criminals... the 1% are the criminals.

  4. Sunday at noon? Okay. No one in New Orleans will have a conflict with that. You ought to see a big crowd.

  5. to the sarcastic person above-- somewhere between 100 and 200 all told. Not too shabby.

  6. The march will be at Tulane and Broad at Noon on October 6th. It will go to the CBD and set up a protest camp...